Kirkland Captures House Track Meet As Lowell and Eliot Follow Closely

Deacons Place First in Middle Distance Relay to Win by Small Margin

Kirkland would appear to be rapidly acquiring an athletic reputation, for this year it points to keeping its football championship, and yesterday it won the House Track Meet. Though the Deacons captured only one of the eight events, they provided enough filler to come out on top in the final scoring: Kirkland 29 1/2, Leverett 27, Lowell 25, Eliot 23 1/2, Adams 10, Winthrop 4, Dunster 3.

The first event of the cold, windswept afternoon was the high and low shuttle hurdle relay. Three men composed a relay team, one of them running through the highs, and the other doing the lows. Leverett House was first home, and Kirkland and Eliot tied for second.

Kirkland gained its only first in the middle distance relay. Four men compose a team, the distances being two 440's, a half mile, and three-quarters of a mile. Lowell was second and Adams third.

Sparks Sorlien '39 of Leverett, and a Varsity sprinter, won the 100 yard dash. William W. Shirk '38 of Lowell was second; Lloyd Mills, Jr. '40 of Winthrop was third; Charles L. Burwell '39 of Eliot was fourth, and Varsity highjumper Irving S. Michelman '39 of Leverett was fifth.

The mile was won by a Lowell House man, Eugene Clark '40, last year's Freshman miler. Sheldon V. Coleman '39 of Kirkland claimed second place, and Langdon Mead '39 of Dunster was third. Dinwiddie Smith '39 of Eliot was fourth, and Richard W. Burnett '40 of Winthrop was fifth.