STARTING BACKFIELD FOR BATTLE WITH ARMY IS STILL UNDECIDED

Battered First-String Backs Present Problem to Harlow--Weakened Team To Start Saturday

By John J. Reidy jr.

Evidently up in the air and uncertain just where he stands as far as the physical condition of his team is concerned, Coach Dick Harlow refused to name a starting lineup yesterday afternoon, and instead declared that he would wait until actual game time before he would make final nominations for the starting eleven.

The A-team backfield has been comprised for the last three days of Cliff Wilson, Austic Harding, Frank Foley, and Ralph Pope. Offhand it appears as though this would be the quartet that would start Saturday. In fact, it appears like a good two-to-one wager.

In the B-team backfield was Freddy Jerome, Art Oakes, Bow Smith, and Vernon Struck. And when you get down to the C-team quartet, you find Chief Boston, George Roberts, Terbert Macdonald, and Mike Cohen. Vernon Struck is the most likely of the three, formerly on the A-team with Harding, to see action. He ran through the whole B-team drill in signals and dummy scrimmage.

Boston and Macdonald, however, only jogged, in spite of the fact that they were reported to be in a better condition than they were as long ago as the day before yesterday.

Harvard appears to have struck the mid-season spot when injuries begin to catch up with the team, when reserves start to come into their own, when the silvery hairs start making their appearance on the pates of coaches, and when the odds for winning games start getting longer and longer.

At the expense of being called a very unpopular person, I think it's my duty to warn the betting community in Harvard College that it would not be wise to go overboard on this game.

Even if the regular A-team backfield is able to start, which it probably won't be, or if it is able to play some, which it possibly may be, it will certainly not be in the top condition it was when it rolled into Palmer Stadium.

The responsibility for winning this game is going to devolve on the substitutes, and it's an open question whether they can stand up against a rested and powerful Army team