P.B.H. Holds Competition for Social Service Committee-- Men Starting on Wednesday

This Year's Contest Featured by Small Sessions on Charity Work

Exceptional ability in recruiting boys' club leaders from among fields of socially minded undergraduates and success in handling children of the slum areas will be recognized during the next two weeks in a competition for Freshmen and Sophomores to fill vacancies on the Phillips Brooks House social service committee.

Along with the announcement that the drive was expected to place 35 new workers for which places are now open in settlement houses in the vicinity, board chairman Sheldon Ware '38 revealed that 203 men had been given assignments, 63 more than that in November of last year.

Opportunity is now being given to those who seek administrative posts on Brooks House committees by a contest to close during the week November 21. Opening meeting will be at the center in the Yard 7:30 o'clock Wednesday.

To replace the old annual meeting of volunteers small conferences will be held this year under the direction of Edmond LaB. Cherbonnier '39, Ware announced. Arrangements will be made in order that each member will have attended at least one session of the group before June examinations. Interested speakers from varied spheres of charity work will feature each meeting.

Innovation in social work this year has been Brooks House cooperation with probation officers in juvenile delinquency cases. William Daughaday '40 and Irving Michelman '39 are in charge of the group to watch truancy, stealing and other misdemeanors