471 JAM HARVARD CLUB AT VICTORY FOOTBALL DINNER

Green, Harlow, and Merriman Addresses Outstanding; Gold Footballs, Film of Game in Evidence

As 471 alumni and invited guests ate, drank, cheered, and sang in the Harvard Club last night, the curtain came down on the successful football season of 1937.

C. Russell Allen '38, captain of the team, Richard Cresson Harlow, its coach, and Roger B. Merriman '96. Gurney Professor of History, drew highest acclaim for their speeches.

In conclusion the coach presented gold footballs to the men who played against Yale, manager Robert T. Whitman '38, and, for the Junior Varsity, to John J. Cabitor '38, its captain.

William J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics, made similar presentations to Harlow and his assistants.

In all 19 men sat at the head table, placed along the long wall of Harvard Hall, the Club's dinning room, opposite the hall of entry. These men numbered the 11 Yale starters, plus Allen, Whitman, Harlow, Bingham, Merriman, Edward A. Taft '04, president of the Harvard Club of Boston, Robert F. Herrick '90, toastmaster, and Leo H. Leary '05, former football coach.

Sixteen additional tables, at which guests including members of the squad took seats, reached across the room.

Food for the evening consisted of grapefruit, New York style, cream of tomato, patty of lobster Newburg, new peans, potato croquette, Harvard Club special ice cream, petits fours, and demi tasse. When it was all over, and cigars had passed around the speeches started, at 9 o'clock.

Following these, there ensued a short interval while tables were cleared away. The H.A.A. then brought the evening to a close with a showing of the pictures of the game.