LANE CLAIMS H.S.U. IS IMPARTIAL IN PRESENT LEWIS-GREEN STRUGGLE

MAINTENANCE DEPT. ORGANIZERS GET NO OFFICIAL AID

Although the Student Union is sponsoring the activities of Harvard students in organizing employees of Boston stores for the C. I. O. this does not mean that they have taken sides in the current labor fight between the A. F. of L. and the Lewis' organization, according to a statement last night.

Under the leadership of Hugh Deane, about twenty Harvard and Radcliffe H. S. U. members are working on employees of the W. T. Grant stores.

Acording to Robert E. Lane '39, newly elected president and formerly labor committee chairman of the Union, "we haven't taken sides yet." We are attempting to be impartial."

A. F. of L., Too

He cited the fact that the current work was being done at the request of a C. I. O. organizer and that recently the Student Union had cooperated with an A. F. of L. drive to organize workers at Jordan Marsh.

Regarding the fact that Harvard Students are helping to organize members of the Maintenance Department here, Lane said that "the Labor Committee has nothing to do with it, officially. There are people in college interested in trade unions. Some of them, I suppose, are members of the H. S. U."