MISSED OPPORTUNITY

The refusal of the University to allow Harvard's major football games to be broadcast next fall deserves serious and careful attention. By refusing to permit this broadcasting, the University is deliberately throwing an obstacle in the path that it had so wisely chosen to follow. These broadcasts would bring in a substantial sum each year which could be added to the present Athletic Endowment Fund. The addition of this money to the Endowment Fund is not to be lightly rejected, as Harvard's other major and minor sports cannot depend upon football's gate receipts forever. The sooner that athletics here in Cambridge are adequately supported by endowment, the better it will be for the University.

If these major games next Fall were broadcast, many people living in New England would develop an early interest in Harvard football, and after hearing several of them on the air, might be inclined to see one or two later in the season. Several authorities in New Haven believe that this added interest on the part of the general public has helped the Yale gate-receipts to a very marked degree. Should the same situation develop here, part of this added revenue might also be turned over to the Endowment Fund.

Since Yale put their contests on the air, numerous letters of congratulation from Eli graduates all over the country have poured into New Haven, expressing appreciation of the opportunity thus offered them to keep in touch with their Alma Mater. To loyal alumni, who live too far away to witness any of Yale's football games, this innovation has been a great pleasure. Harvard, by stubbornly refusing to follow suit, is doing a great disservice to its own graduates.

In making any decision the undergraduate opinion must also be considered. Yet when this broadcasting issue was raised before the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports at its recent meeting, the Council voted in favor of it, and thus lent the weight of undergraduate opinion towards this proposal.

The main opposition to this broadcasting plan comes from those who say they would object to hearing the Harvard team described in action with any reference to a commercial product. This could easily be prevented by agreements between the H. A. A. and the company paying for the broadcasting facilities. It is rumored that one company has already expressed its willingness to use its name only five times during the broadcast, once at the beginning, once at the end, and once between each quarter of the game.

It is highly unfortunate that the University has decided to keep Harvard's major games off the air, as many graduates and undergraduate will be very disappointed, and a splendid chance to augment the Endowment Fund has been unwisely passed by.