DEBATERS BARELY TOP NORFOLK PRISON TEAM

ONLY ONE COLONY SPEAKER WENT THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL

In a very close contest, the Crimson debaters vanquished the Norfolk Prison team 416 396 last night at the Colony; taking the negative side of the question; "Resolved: That N. L. R. B. Should be Empowered to Enforce Arbitration of all Industrial Disputes."

The Norfolk debaters were John Wall, Adolph C. Rosenthal, and Alfred Fortier; while those representing the Crimson were Paul W. Cherington '40, Jay W. Kaufman '88, and John A. Sullivan '38 (No. 38476)

Attendance at the debate was voluntary; 500 convicts showing up for the proceedings. During the intermission, the Prison swing orchestra played with a Negro accordionist stealing the show.

The Crimson speakers were impressed with the intelligence and knowledge displayed by their opponents, only one of whom had finished high school. Their vocabularies were described as "superior to that of the average Harvard student."

One of the Norfolk speakers, a "lifer," had taken sixteen correspondence courses to improve his education.

Crowning witticism of the evening was delater Rosenthal's remark that "although in Cambridge, the big event of the year is the football game between Harvard and Yale, here it is the debate between Harvard and Jail."