JINGLE BELLS

With the news that a citizen of Salt Lake, Utah, has decided it would be a good thing to settle the flood and drought problem through the production of artificial glaciers, the issue of what to do with snow again comes squarely before the American public, from the loftiest to the lowliest, the wisest to the dullest citizen.

Briefly the snow problem consists of an inability to get rid of the snow in the winter and an inability to find any in the spring. Now begins the time of clogged streets and downed telephone wires. All too soon come the days of flood followed by those of drought.

Fascination of the problem lies in the fact that for its solution one must not necessarily look to any specialized group. As it concerns everybody, so everybody may try his hand at solving it. The aforementioned man of Utah, who wants to put nozzles in streams that the winter torrents may diffuse and freeze, is not the only man from whom the nation may expect to hear during the next months.

As a province into which all may delve, snow immediately falls under the purview of the University. Inasmuch as there exists a general agreement that more trees must be planted, the spring problem has already been settled in its general aspects. The disposal question presents a more pressing demand both because snow is now upon the country, and because nobody has ever invented a machine or discovered a method of quickly removing the greatest natural damager of winter intercourse.

Harvard can well take the lead here. This winter the University must expect one of its members, students, officers, Faculty men, or service employees, or a combination thereof, to find out how snow may be eliminated in the shortest time after it has fallen.