The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Social Sciences Lead Fields in Popularity With 16 Per Cent Of Concentration, Followed by Government and English

Continuing the trend of increasing interest in the social sciences here, concentrators in History, Government, and Economics have climbed from 38.3 percent to 39.5 percent in the past year.

Once the most popular field, English has dropped to third place behind Economics and Government, failing from 25 percent in 1927 to 12.2 percent this year. Most striking gain in the past few years has been registered by the Department of Government, whose concentrators have more than doubled in five years. Social science concentrators as a whole have increased from 28 percent to 39.5 percent in the same period.

Allied Fields Increase

Other fields showing substantial gains over last year are Chemistry, Engineering Sciences, Music, and Philosophy. A total of 1,260 students are now candidates for honors, an increase of almost 1 percent over last year.

Concentrators in the new and especially approved combined fields have climbed from six in 1935 to 42 this year.