Ski Squad Takes Part in Lake Placid Intercollegiate Meet on December 26; 12 Teams Compete in Jumping, Slalom

Captain Emerson Will Lead Crimson in Opening Test of Season With Teams Including Yale, Princeton, Williams, and Amherst Prior To Harvard Race on Mount Washington January 9

Coach Norwood Cox and eight Crimson skiers will trek north to Lake Placid on December 26 for the annual intercollegiate meet scheduled for December 30 to January 1. Others among the twelve colleges entered are Dartmouth, Yale, Princeton, Amherst, and Williams. Heading the Crimson contingent will be Captain David Emerson '38, winner last year at the Bartlett Carnival and again at the Appalachian Club Race. Peter T. Brooks '38 is the other veteran making the trip. John Pierpont '39, Frederick R. Witherby '40, T. Robert Skinner '38, David S. Stacey '40, James Laughlin, 4th, ocC., and William H. Hinton '41, complete the roster.

Captain Emerson and Hinton, yardling flash, will handle the downhill cross country, and jumping events.

Harvard Race in January

First event on the 1938 ski calendar is the Harvard Race, open to all undergraduates, on January 9 at Mount Washington. All contestants will race on Sherburn trial in the morning, with the first twenty competing in a run-off on the stiffer Wildcat trial in the afternoon.

Results will be radioed via short wave by amateur operators under the direction of Dana W. Atchley '39. Entry lists are posted in Leavitt & Peirce's.

Other meets looming large on the skimen's schedule this winter are the Dartmouth Carnival, the Eastern Down-hill Championships, and the Eastern Jumping and Cross Country Championships at Gilford. The Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular meet is listed for the spring vacation.

Skiers Split Into Groups

Skiers this winter will be split into separate instruction groups of ten according to ability. Methods of selection and of advancement from group to group will be similar to those used by the Arlberg School, Sidney Cobb '39, manager of the team, explained yesterday.

The instruction program will include downhill and slalom skiing, as well as cross country and jumping. At present squad members are running every afternoon to get in training.

General coaching for skiers will take place on six consecutive week-ends from February 6 to March 15, Cobb said yesterday. Cox will coach one afternoon during the week when there is snow in Cambridge.