William Schroeder Will Head Research Trip to Havana for Fish Collecting

Zoology Museum Associate Will Be Aided by Three Men from Havana University

Together with the University of Havana, the University Museum of Comparative Zoology is sponsoring a fish collecting trip to Cuba this winter on the research vessel, Atlantis, it was announced yesterday at the museum.

Under the direction of William C, Schroeder, associate curator of fishes in the Museum, the investigation will be aided by three representatives from the Havana School, Luis H. Rivero, Guillermo Aguayo, and Podro Bermudez, who will care for the fishes, molluscs, and foraminifera, respectively.

The Atlantis is scheduled to leave Woods Hole December 28 and, after a week's hydrographic work around Bermuda, will proceed to the Bahamas, where two or three days collecting will be done in Providence Channel for deep sea fish.

Arriving at Havana about the middle of January, the Atlantis will take aboard the Cuban party and sail westward. It is planned to encircle Cuba, spending the greater part of the available time where the best fishing lies, probably along the southern coast.

Fishing will be done with otter trawls. Blake trawls, and, off bottom, with large ring nets. Most of the trawling will probably be done in depths greater than 100 fathoms because in shoal water much gear would be destroyed by coral.

The trip is scheduled to end about February 22 at Havana. A division of the material collected is being mutually arranged between the University of Havana and the Museum of Comparative Zoology.

So far as the fishes are concerned, it is probable that Rivero will work on those which belong to the Cuban fauna, and Schroeder will handle the remainder, chiefly the deep sea species.