PRESS MONOPOLY EVIL CITED BY JOURNALIST

ATTACKS WAGE AND HOUR POLICY BEFORE STUDENT UNION

"Newspaper publishers have been able to balk regulation by shouting that the freedom of the press is being threatened, but they really mean monopoly of the press," declared Henry W. Harris '20, feature writer for the Boston Globe last night in a Student Union talk.

Presenting the case for the Newspaper Guild, of which he is an officer, Harris stated that the Guild is not trying to dominate the press. The real pressure on the newspapers is exerted by its advertisers and the bankers.

The purpose of the Guild, he said, is to establish a fair balance of power between the publisher and the employee, and to ensure fair wages and hours. He disclaimed any other motives in the Guild's drive to unionize the newspaper industry.

"The trouble with most publishers Is that they think they have the public by the throat. If they don't wake up, they will find themselves being subjected to government regulation."

Harris expressed himself as against government intervention in the industry, saying that regulation should come from within.