SHAPLEY TALKS ABOUT WORK OF OBSERVATORY

INVESTIGATIONS FIND THAT SUN IS FAINTER

Philadelphia, Pa., Feb. 9: Telling of the researches which have been conducted by more than twenty investigators at the Harvard Observatory during the past year, Dr. Harlow Shapley, director of the Observatory, spoke here tonight before the American Philosophical Society.

The title of Dr. Shaploy's Jayne Foundation address was "Now Results in the Harvard Siderial Survey." The talk discussed work in many astronomical fields from shooting stars in the earth's atmosphere to the clouds of external galaxies.

The researches were part of the investigations that are about to be published in several Tercentenary volumes and constitute the Observatory's contribution to the three hundredth anniversary.

190 New Stars

The study of 190 now variable stars through the central pane of a "window" in the Milky Way was discussed by Dr. Shapley, and for the first time there has been a close investigation of that part of the Milky Way that lies beyond the galactic centers.

"The appearance of faint and distant galaxies in the field with the variable stars gives the assurance of space transparoney," he said. "Photographs were made at the Observatory's South African station, and a new series has just been received which will serve to extend the study deeper, since they were made with a large reflector."

In the survey of the solar neighborhood, Dr. Shapley said that Dr. Luyten of the University of Minnesota, using Harvard plates, has completed a very extensive study of star motions. "He has found in the south Southern sky eightyfive thousand stars that show motion with respect to their neighbors, and among this vast number of moving objects are undoubtedly many that are the dwarf asosciates of the sun."

Sun Found Fainter

A new value for the brightness of the sun in comparison with the other stars has been detirmined at the Oak Ridge Station by Dr. Calder, who attains a relatively high precision by the use of the electrical methods of measuring light. He finds, for instance, that the sun in 26.54 magnitudes brighter than the star Capella--that is, over thirty billion times as bright. "His measures for both the Sun and the Moon are appreciably different from the conventionally accepted values, for he finds the sun fainter and the moon brighter.