Saltonstall, Ransom, Berle Headliners Among H-Y-P Conference Spokesmen

Berle, Chamberlain of New York City, Scheduled for Plenary Session

With preparations continuing at a rapid rate for the H-Y-P Conference on Public Affairs to be held in Cambridge on the 26th and 27th of this month, the choice of speakers for the opening luncheon and the main banquet was determined yesterday.

Leverett Saltonstall '14, prominent Massachusetts lawyer and legislator, will open the ceremonies at the first luncheon on Friday, to be held at the Union. For the banquet, which will take place in the Adams House dining hall, William L. Ransom, noted New York lawyer and former president of the American Bar Association, will share the speaking honors with President Conant. At the final plenary session, where the work of the Conference is to be summed up and coordinated, Adolphe A. Berle, Jr. '13, New York City Chamberlain and one of the original group of "brain-trusters," will hold the floor.

Mr. Saltonstalf, Harvard Law School graduate, has had many years of experience in public life in this state. Practicing law in Boston, he was for a short time assistant district attorney for Middlesex County, a member of the Newton Board of Aldermen, and from 1923 until the end of last year he served as Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives.

In the political arena he has held to liberal Republican principles, and he was defeated by only a few thousand votes in the last election in his race for the Lieutenant-Governorship, showing great strength in the face of the Democratic landslide. He is a director of a number of Boston banks and companies, and a member of the Board of Overseers.

Also a lawyer of distinction, Mr. Ransom brings to the Conference wide knowledge of public utility law and of the course of legal progress and education. Graduated from Cornell Law School in 1905, he was identified with the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential campaign in 1912, and then took up various duties with the New York Public Service Commission.

Prominent in the Bar Assocation, he was vice-president for New York for two years and served on committees dealing with jurisprudence and law reform, public utility law, and legal education. He acted as president of the American Bar Association for the term 1935-36, and frequently contributed to legal and economic periodicals. In January a year ago he gave a lecture at the Law School on the subject of the responsibilities confronting men entering the legal profession.

Mr. Herle is the only speaker who has had previous experience at the Conference, as it was he who gave the first luncheon address at the Princeton session last May, where he told the delegates of the impossibility of solving difficult economic problems by short cuts, pauaceas, and ever-hasty means. He also discussed the relation of liquidity of investment to the continuation of private property, a subject on which, with Dr. G. C. Means, he wrote "The Modern Corporation and Private Property." After graduating from the Harvard Law School, he practised in Boston and New York, and subsequently was lecturer on finance at the Harvard Business School and associate professor of corporation law at Columbia. With the inception of the New Deal he served in various capacities, notably as special counsel to the RFO and financial adviser to the American Embassy in Cuba. Since 1934 he has directed the legal affairs of New York City as City Chamberlain in Mayor LaGuardia's Fusion administration. His address at the plenary session on Saturday will be the last formal speech of the Conference