OPEN PRACTICE OF FOOTBALL TEAM TO BE DISCONTINUED

At Varsity Club Meeting Coach Tells of Plans to Show Pictures and Open Spring Practice

Following a recommendation of the Student Council committee, it has been definitely decided to discontinue the practice of admitting the student body to the Friday afternoon football practice, it was learned yesterday.

The Council Committee, consisting of George G. Hedblom '37, chairman, Walter H. Page, III '37, Charles W. Kessler '37, James J. Gaffney '37, Thomas W. Stephenson '37, C. Russell Allen '38, and Vernon H. Struck '38, recommended that the weekly open practices be discontinued because the small attendance of last fall "did not justify such a practice and the difficulties which it inured."

Attendance Low

The average student attendance at the Friday open practices was about 30, and it was felt that the interest was not commensurate with the difficulties entailed in organizing the open sessions.

Further the committee recommended a continuance of the policy of "admitting football writers assigned to cover Harvard through the season to the practice sessions under the 1936 arrangements."

Closed Yale Practice

Finally it was recommended that practice should be entirely closed the week before the Yale game, and at any other time in Coach Dick Harlow's discretion.

Meanwhile plans for the opening of Spring practice were discussed last night at the football meeting in the Varsity club. Harlow told of plans to show the moving pictures of the last season games between now and March 18 when practice is due to start. Captain-elect Russ Allen also spoke to the prospective candidates. The length of the practice is as yet undetermined but if the warm weather holds and the team is able to get outside first week it is possible that the coaching staff will keep the squad out six weeks instead of the contemplated four.