POETS THEATRE GIVES T. S. ELIOTS NEW DRAMA

Newly Formed Group to Present "Murder in the Cathedral" March 19 and 20 in Fogg Museum

In its first effort to establish the position of poetry on the contemporary stage, the newly formed Poets Theatre, headed by William B. Bersscubrugge '37, will produce "Murder in the Cathedral" March 19 and 20 in the courtyard of the Fogg Art Museum.

The play, written by T. S. Eliot '09, is the story of the assassination of Thomas A. Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury under Henry H. First produced at the Canterbury Festival, in June, 1935, it has run over 300 performances in London and has appeared in his country under WPA auspices in New York and at Yale.

Assisting in the staging of the play will be Alphonse Ossorio '38, art director of the group, in charge of costumes; John R. Van Horne '40, who is making masks for the characters, a special feature of the production; and F. L. Peter White '38, in charge of music. The Leverett House Glee Club will sing several Gregorian chants during the play.

Francis O. Matthiessen '26, associate professor of History and Literature, and Theodore Spencer '28, instructor in English, are advisers to the group. Mrs. Rogor B. Merriman will have charge of ticket sales.

Members of the Advisory Board include Dudley E. Fitts '25, co-translator of the "Alcestis" of Euripedes, Robert S. Hillyer '17, associate professor of English, whose "Collected Poems" won the Pulitzer poetry prize in 1934, Archibald MacLeish '19, author of the verse play, "Panic", now running in London after a successful season in New York, Kenneth B. Murdock '16, professor of English and consultant on the recent motion picture production of "Romeo and Juliet".