Harvard Film Society Will Show 1916 Griffith Cinema

"Intolerance," Third Movie of Series, Stars Lillian Gish

"Intolerance," directed and produced by D. W. Griffith in 1916, will be presented by the Harvard Film Society Thursday at 8 o'clock in the Institute of Geographical Exploration, 11 Divinity Avenue.

This is the third in a series of five presentations of "American Primitives," films made during the late 1890's and early 20th century. "Intolerance" is important especially as being one of the first full length pictures to deal with a social problem and to feature close-ups, not only of faces but of important objects.

The film includes among its large cast such once well known screen figures as Lillian Gish, Monte Blue, Lillian Langdon, Eric von Stroheim, and Constance Talmadge, while Douglas Fairbanks and Colleen Moore appear as extras.

The story is divided into five parts, carrying out the theme in as many different settings. It represents the culmination of D. W. Griffith's early success in "cutting" and assembling lengths of film to form the final twelve reel picture, a then very advanced step in cinematography.

The films being presented by the Society are supplied by the Museum of Modern Art, New York, according to T. Edward Ross '38, chairman.

Irving Fine '39 will again accompany the film with piano music supplied by the Museum and originally arranged by Griffith.