Good Government for Massachusetts Despite Opponents, Hurley Declares

Governor Praises New School of Public Administration at Harvard Club

Vehemently upholding righteous government, Governor Hurley outlined the problems which have confronted him during the first weeks of his term of office in an address before the Harvard Club of Boston last night.

Asserting that he intends to uphold the oath of office no matter how unpleasant the consequences, Hurley explained his plan of administration. "I realize that no man can do this job alone," he stated. Therefore he has surrounded himself with the best and most available men for his advisory executive staff. Their assistance was indispensable in helping him plan the new state budget which definitely puts "Massachusetts on the pay as you go policy."

Hurley has not forgotten the state electing machines, but his memory augurs them no good. Citing the impossibility of a candidate to break through the powerful machine which held Springfield in its grip during the last election, he attacked the pre-primary elections as an evil to be removed. All candidates should be allowed to be on the ballot election day. Among the other reforms which he has advocated is the bi-annual session of the legislature.

In cooperation with Mayor Mansfield he is making a determined effort to give Boston a police department worthy of its trust. Confident in the merit of the department as a whole, he is determined to remove from service the few inefficient officers who have not carried out their duties.

Hurley closed the brief interview by praising the new School of Public Administration.