CAREERS OF PROMINENT CONFERENCE MEN HERE TODAY

A lawyer of distinction, William L. Ransom brings to the Conference wide knowledge of public utility law and of the course of legal progress and education. Graduated from the Cornell Law School in 1905, he was identified with the Presidential campaign of Theodore Roosevelt in 1912, and then took up various duties with the New York Public Service Commission. In 1917 Ransom was Republican and Fusion candidate for the position of District Attorney of New York.

Prominent in the Bar Association, he was vice-president for New York for two years, and served on committees dealing with jurisprudence and law reform, public utility law and legal education. He acted as president of the American Bar Association for the term of 1935-1936, and frequently contributed to legal and economic periodicals. He has at the same time been a member of such organizations as the American Association for Labor Legislation, The American Academy of Political and Social Science, and the American Economic Association.

In January a year ago he gave a lecture at the Law School on the subject of the responsibilities confronting men entering the legal profession.

Ransom will share speaking honors with President Conant and Dr. Lubin and will be introduced by State Senator Henry Parkman Jr. '14, at the banquet which will take place in the Adams House dining hall.

Christian A. Herter '15, statesman and editor comes to the Conference with a vast store of experience in diplomacy and international relations.

Soon after graduating from college cum laude in 1915, he served as attache at the American Embassy in Berlin. During the year that America entered the Great War, he held the position of assistant in the Department of State. At the conclusion of the war, Herter, who was born in Paris, acted as Secretary for the American Commission to Negotiate Peace in Paris. Shortly after the war he worked with Herbert Hoover on the European Relief Council, of which he was executive Secretary. He continued to work with Hoover as he held the position of assistant in the Department of Commerce from 1919 to 1924.

He has been generally interested in the field of relief work, serving as Director of the American Child Health Association, the Community Health Association, and the Commission for relief of Belgium.

In the journalistic realm he has a reputation as Associate Editor of the Sportsman.

Herter, who lectured on International Relations at Harvard in 1929-30, has held the post of Representative in the Massachusetts Legislature since 1931.

Frederick W. Cook, recently reelected Secretary of State of Massachusetts, is an authority on governmental law. After graduating from high school in 1891, he served 28 years in Somerville politics, holding the offices of assistant clerk of comimttees, assistant city clerk, and city clerk. He then ran successfully for Secretary of State. Of this office, which he has held ever since despite political tides, he says himself:

"A thorough knowledge of governmental law is required to start with and continuing knowledge is essential."

Secretary Cook is in charge of the state archives, government mail, and gubernatorial proclamations and commissions. He is a legal go-between on matters to do with petitions and laws. He has frequently served as acting governor.

Cook came before the public eye in the state elections in 1934 when he was the only Republican to win a major state office. Last summer Cook's name was frequently on the front pages of local newspapers. He charged that the state primaries were the worst in years so far as forgeries, irregularities, and actual fraudulent practices were concerned. Secretary Cook is also the author of "Massachusetts Voter." In 1936 he repeated his 1934 triumph by an even wider margin demonstrating his hold on the independent vote.

Senator Henry Parkman, Jr. '15 has been active during the past 17 years as an advocate of constructive government and as a bitter critic of ex-Governor Curley. After graduating from law school and serving in France as a Captain in the army, he opened a law practice in Boston, became a city councilman in Boston and then won a seat in the statehouse.

Parkman was chairman of the banks and banking committee in the Senate and had much to do with the strengthening of the banking system in the state. He also supported legislation for the benefit of the working man. In June of 1936 he retired from active political life.

He opposed Curley's recent proposed pension system for judges, and the notorious Dog Track Bill of last year. In an attempt to defeat the mayoralty candidates, Curley and Nichols, he proposed the organization of a Fusion movement in Boston, "to save our city from political spollsmen."

He is the son of the late Henry Parkman, and grandson if Dr. Samuel Parkman, first cousin of Francis Parkman, the famous historian, Senator Parkman's brother, Francis, is headmaster of Saint Mark's School.