SALTONSTALL'S SPEECH OPENS H-Y-P CONFERENCE

STOREY WELCOMES DELEGATES AND GUESTS AT UNION

Noon yesterday marked the official opening of the second annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton Conference on Public Affairs. The first event on the agenda of the meeting was a luncheon given in the upstairs Common Room of the Union.

The luncheon, attended by approximately 125 people, preceeded the opening of the first round table sessions held in the Faculty Club immediately after the meal.

Charles M. Storey, Jr. '37, Chairman of this year's Conference opened the noon meeting with a brief address welcoming the delegates and guests to the Conference and thanking them for their cooperation in making the meeting possible.

He then introduced Hon. Leverett Saltonstall '14, whose talk was based on the many points underlying the general subject of the Conference. "The Role of Government in the National Economy." He declared that what everyone wanted, regardless of what side he was on, was the more efficient management of all government, whether local, state, or federal.

Saltonstall, former Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives, and unsuccessful Republican candidate for Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts, touched humorously on his own defeat last November and explained the Democratic victory on the grounds that the G. O. P. had made the mistake of attempting to appeal to the logic and reason of the voters rather than their emotions.

At the conclusion of the address, Storey adjourned the meeting and the group broke up into the five round table meetings in the Faculty Club.

These sessions were closed to the public the press, but delegates reported that there was no hesitation about discussing the matters on the agenda and that much information of an exceedingly helpful nature for the understanding of governmental problems had been brought to light.