Hanford Praises General Exams, Maps Tutorial Reform in Report

Honors Now Awarded to Twice As Many as in 1923 Due to Houses, Generals, Tutors

Declaring that the number of men who graduate with honors has almost doubled since 1923, Dean Hanford, in his annual report to President Conant, said yesterday that this great improvement has been due to "the system of General Examinations, the tutors, the Houses, improvement in the quality of men admitted, and the new arrangements in the Freshman year.

"It is not the purpose of College authorities to make it more difficult than in the past for students to remain in College, the Dean's report said. "We should constantly strive to see to it that all the assistance legitimately desirable is given to the willing but less gifted student and that our curriculum and general plan of education are such as to interest, broaden, and develop the non-scholarly type of youth."

Dean Hanford devoted considerable attention to various proposals for revision of the tutorial system, and declared that changes should strengthen the system and not endanger the progress attained in the last 25 years.

Specific suggestions for tutorial reform were proposed and included the following: 1. Full tutorial program for all students in their sophomore year, with weekly conferences the next two years for those who demonstrate ability to profit from these conferences. For others, a meeting only half as often, but actual tutorial work, and not just a continuation of the Freshman advisor system.

2. Students who are given less intensive tutorial work should have the opportunity to take more intensive tutorial if they demonstrate sufficient interest and ability. 3. For those receiving only partial tutorial instruction, the 16 course requirement, plus prescribed English would be required.

4. Modification in general examinations for those receiving only partial tutorial instruction. 5. Tutorial work should be assigned to a larger number of permanent Faculty members than at present.

A report on the second year of the Harvard College National Scholarships, including records of the holders, and a report of the activity of the Student Council during the past year were also contained in Mr. Hanford's summary of the year.