CREW CAMPAIGN BEGINS UNDER BOLLES REGIME AS TANK WATERS CHURN

PROBLEM WILL BE TO MAKE NEW TECHNIQUE AUTOMATIC

Under the appraising eye of Coach Tom Boiles, a continuous procession of eights kept Newel tank churned yesterday afternoon in the first session of a long crew campaign, a campaign that consists of an almost unbroken series of daily workouts stretching from the end of midyears until the final sprint at New London.

Although the meeting at the Varsity Club tomorrow evening will be the official opening of the season, there was a large turnout yesterday. Up to now, Bolles said, he has been trying to crystalize the innovations he has brought to Harvard rowing technique, but from now on, conditioning will be stressed and the pressure will be gradually turned on. Strict training will not be enforced until March, but he expects his candidates to keep in good physical trim.

Seatings to Be Announced

Seatings of several Varsity eights will be announced later this week, and various combinations will be tried together throughout the indoor season. But Coach Bolles stressed the fact that he never decided on his final boats, even tentatively, until, he saw them in the water in the spring. "No matter how they look," according to his creed, "the first boat is the one that goes fastest."

Greatest Problem

One of the greatest problems facing the new mentor is the difficulty of imposing a new technique on men in whom the old form has been completely automatic. It is one thing to have a crew functioning perfectly smoothly during a practice spin where they have time to concentrate on all the new precepts; but it is quite a different proposition to keep the new formula in mind when under pressure. Even after an entire winter and spring of faultless rowing, old habits are likely to crop up in the midst of a close sprint.