"FORGOTTEN MEN"

Unlucky Freshmen, annually dumped on the ash-heap of circumstances by the House Plan's inability to accomodate all those applying for admission, find a cold eye turned on them when, as Sophomores, they again seek entrance. While the House Representatives express concern for the solitary, doghouse existence of men excluded from the houses, their hands are tied by an undue reverence for the Freshman and the custom of having a third of each class in any one house. But if this pretense is to be dropped and justice administered, upperclassmen in good standing who have tried repeatedly should be viewed on a level with Freshmen of the same scholastic rank. Having served his time watching college life from the sidelines, the deserving Sophomore should be given an opportunity to get into the game, and the Freshman allowed to take the bench.

With so many people clamoring for admission, the House Masters must at the same time weigh carefully the number of graduate students allowed to remain, filling rooms for which there is a pressing need. At present the number of graduate students in the Houses represents a large proportion of the number of men who are denied entrance. Although the graduate student has a definite place in the plan, he should be selected with frank skepticism, and his value to the House measured in the light of the unfortunate Sophomore left out.

Further, as a stop-gap solution, to be used until University Hall slices college admissions to House capacities, the House Masters might well allow college dormitory men to eat in the dining halls. Assignment of these outcasts to the house dining halls would mean only an additional twenty men to each one, and, according to University authorities, this would not overtax their facilities. Leading a mouse-like existence, a lonely round from one hash house to another, these excluded men appreciate more than anyone else the opportunities offered by the Houses simply because they have missed them. Life on this fringe of the University's social center could be made much more enjoyable if the House Masters would adopt the simple and workable expedient of granting dining hall privileges to college dormitory men.