RATTLING THE CUP

Despite the creaking and groaning noise heard yesterday as the Undergraduate Athletic Council got up steam, the average student is not impressed. It is true that the deliberations seem to promise that one minor sport, basketball, will enter the major orbit and that the new monthly meetings will put more undergraduate pressure on Quincy Street. Yet the underlying troubles in the current system are untouched.

The average student would like his sports, the house and minor sports, better represented in the top control body of the H.A.A. However, welcome are basketball's promotion and the prospects for monthly meetings, they are not connected with the real problem before Mr. Bingham. Lest the ten dollar compulsory fee become taxation without representation, two new groups need a vote in the all-high Committee for the Regulation of Athletic Sports. Though the Student Council thumps loudly for the nomination of two of its members to the Committee, the house sports should not be overlooked, particularly in view of their growth when watered by the new monies. It is significant that the Student Council was chosen to report on the college opinion towards sports, an indication of Quincy Street's knowledge that its finger is not on the student pulse, and that the present hierarchy of representation does not truly represent.

The three major sportsmen who now alone speak for the College in the Committee for the Regulation of Athletic Sports are symbols of a past era in Harvard Athletics. At every opportunity Mr. Bingham reiterates his intention to discourage big-time sports in favor of intramurals, and to catch up to Yale's record of 55 per cent of the students on house teams. When this hope becomes a reality, it will be clearly necessary to give average students a vote in the supreme court. It may prove an important help to the evolution of the Student Council's recommendations to broaden undergraduate representation while the fat is on the fire.