The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Collections and Critiques

Five New Exhibitions Featured in Widener Displays This Week

Five new exhibits are now on view in Widener Library, each one of a totally different type. Most timely is the showing of skiling and mountaineering books and posters in the first floor hall.

In the Harry Elkins Widener Room is a display of early Anglican prayer books, Bibles, books of hours, and hymnals, a few of which are first editions, including Queen Elizabeth's Prayer Book.

Second Floor Display

Exhibited in the second floor hall are two volumes of "The Army and Navy of the United States" by William Walton, opened to illustrations of Civil War cavalry and artillery. They comprise part of an exhibition on biography and historical fiction of the Civil War.

On the top floor, the Theatrical Collection has on display pictures, programs, letters, and autographed sketches of Walter Hampden, giving an intimate glance into the life of the actor.

Fogg Museum

Newest of exhibits at the Fogg Museum is a collection of seventeenth century etchings and prints, among which is an unusually good etching by Van Dyke.

Other works are by Robert Nanteuil, one of the foremost French artists of the seventeenth century, Stephano Della Bella, an Italian etcher, Vaillant, a less familiar French artist, and Jose Ribera, a Spaniard.

Van Dyke Portrait

The portrait of Philippe Le Roi, by Van Dyke, is reputed to be one of the best of his portrait prints. This portrait, as it appears in the collection, includes only the head of the subject. Several years later the Dutch master completed the figure, but none of the resulting prints turned out as well as the ones of the head alone. The paper has been very skillfully mended, where it was torn completely across the sheet, by some unknown artisan.