Eliot House Mermen Duck Yale's Trumbull College 35-27; Fencing, Track, Polo Teams Do Poorly in Weekend Frays

Elephants Gain Victory, Winning Relay Race; Fencers are Fifth at New Haven

By foaming to victory in the 220-yard relay, last event of the meet, Eliot natators sank a championship team from Trumbull College, Yale, in the Harvard Pool Saturday.

In order to win the match, Coach Frank Vaughan of the local House League winner substituted his breast strokers for the relay men originally entered in the 100-yard free style. With the score knotted at 27 all William Iyler, William Cann, George Leonard, and Robert Murphy then nosed out the Yale relay combination.

The Summary:

50-yard free style swim--Won by R. C. Murphy, Jr. '38 (H); second R. C. Winfield (Y); third Christner (Y). Time -- 25:15 seconds.

220-yard free style swim--Won by Irons (Y); second W. R. Eyler '39 (H); third Good (Y). Time -- 2 min. 33 sec.

Dive--Won by Morse (Y); second W. H. Cann '37 (H); third Nickles (Y), 46.87 points.

100-yard breast stroke swim--Won by P. H. Walker '39 (H); second G. J. Beitman '39 (H); third CRESAV (Y). Time -- 1 min. 11 sec.

100-yard back stroke swim--Won by Good (Y); second C. C. Stowell '39 (H); third K. B. Hodson '37 (H). Time--1 min. 10 sec.

100-yard free style swim--Won by Good (Y); second Walker (H); third Bettman (H). Time--I min, 4.6 sec.

200-yard relay race--Won by Harvard; Eyler, Cann, G. D. Leonard '37, and R. C. Murphy, Jr. '38; second Yale; Winfield, Jacobson, Irons, and Christner.

Trackmen at A.A.U.

In preparation for the IC4A meet this Saturday, members of the track team competed in the A.A.U. meet in Providence last Saturday night, earning third place in the final team scoring.

Running on a poorly constructed board track and treacherous runways superimposed on a hockey rink, Crimson track men placed in six events, while Captain Bill Schmidt, gaining weight for the coming IC4A hurdle race, remained on the sidelines. The two first places went to Ed Young with his 35-pound weight throw of 48 ft. 71 3-4 in., and Howard Cook in the pole vault.

For the second time this winter bad luck stalked the mile relay team as a fall and the subsequent bad pass prevented the Crimson quartet from gaining anything better than a fourth in the 1600 meter relay.

Special mention goes to Henry Marcy whose last minute sprint was begun just too late to exchange his second for first place in the 3000-meter steeplechase, and Freshman Mason Fernald who gained a fourth place for himself in the 40 meter hurdles.