LAW PROFESSORS PROTEST PACKING OF SUPREME COURT

Beale, Warren, Williston Among Those Terming Proposed Legislation as "Undesirable"

Members of the faculty of the Law School, acting as individuals, have signed recently a "round-robin" protest against the proposed changes in the Federal judicial system, particularly in reference to the alteration of the Supreme Court.

The protest is as follows: "The undersigned, members of the faculty of the Harvard Law School, though varying in their political opinions and their views as to the desirability of some of the policies of the present administration, are agreed that a provision, under the plan proposed, empowering the President to appoint justices to the Supreme Court of the United States in addition to the number now authorized by law, is undesirable.

"This opinion is expressed by us as individuals and not as a resolution of the faculty of the school."

Names of Signers

Those professors who signed the protest are as follows: Joseph H. Beale '82, Royall Professor of Law; Joseph Warren '97, Weld Professor of Law; Samuel Williston '82, Dane Professor of Law; Sheldon Gluock, professor of Criminology; and Ralph J. Baker, Morton C. Campbell, George K. Gardner '12, Erwin N. Griswold, Eldon R. James, W. Barton Leach '21, John M. Maguire, William E. McCurdy '16, Warren A. Seavey '02, Sidney Post Simpson, James B. Thayer '31, Edward S. Thurston '98, Edward H. Warren '95, all professors of Law, and Livingston Hall, assistant professor of Law.