ALL WORK AND NO PLAY

With the recommendations of the Phillips Brooks House Law School Committee for greater athletic facilities and an organization of intramural sports, another Easter egg has rolled into the lap of the H. A. A., which the Committee for the Regulation of Sports can open up after vacation. Because of the rigors of legal education, the law students, even more than the undergraduates, suffer when their facilities for exercise are inadequate or maladministered. Dr. Bock's observation that many young barristers ailing at Stillman are victims of poor physical training should clarify the need for dealing out a new pack of cards in this regard.

What particularly troubles the Law School Committee at the moment is the failure of the Linden Street squash courts to supply the needs of the whole University, and the overcrowding of the Hemenway Gymnasium. At Hemenway there are even freshman basketball teams in practice, further squeezing out the graduate students who would like to use the floors. And even the facilities for exercise which do exist are so little advertised and pushed into the public eye by the authorities in charge--a conspicuous example is Soldiers Field--that many who come to Harvard from far-away colleges never even know what they are missing.

As a remedy the proposal for intra-mural sports, to be arranged along the "informal but organized" lines which the Student Council has boosted in its recent recommendations for House athletics--seems to fit the needs of the case. And the hopeful proposal for more squash courts, with a compulsory athletic fee when enough have been obtained to supply the wants of all the students--though depending on a fairy godfather to furnish the capital-points in the right direction. For if the Harvard Law students of today are to stand the strain of holding down, the supreme court benches of tomorrow, their health in the formative years must be more carefully guarded.