GROPIUS, EMINENT ARCHITECT, TAKES OVER NEW DUTIES

Advocate of Pre-Fabricated Houses Admires "Characteristic" Colonial Dwellings

Often termed the world's most noted architect, Walter Gropius, arrived at Robinson Hall yesterday to take over his new duties as professor of Architecture.

"It is not in my mind to import a dry style of my own from Europe," he declared when questioned about his plans. "I am more concerned with showing the method of approach to architecture." The eminent German architect asserted that he would like to stress the practical element in design here, since modern architecture is becoming more and more interrelated with the problems of actual construction.

Built Own School

Professor Gropius, now the guest of Joseph Hudnut, dean of the School of Architecture, arrived in this country on Saturday. He said that he would like to teach courses here similar to those at the Bauhaus, his German school that was closed by the Hitler government.

At his school which he designed and built himself, Professor Gropius inaugurated a new curriculum that provided for students familiarizing themselves with the actual handiwork of construction. This new course of study, he said, enabled him to be asked to lecture here.

Likes Yard

"The grey building", University Hall, was called "very fine" by Professor Gropius. He also liked the contrast afforded by the thick pillars and slim tower of Memorial Church, which he confused with Memorial Hall, "the gothic affair." He was delighted with the "characteristic old American style" of the Yard buildings, and of houses in Concord, which he said were very gay because of their white painted walls.

"I have written about pre-fabricated housing since 1909," said Professor Gropius. "People laughed at me then, but now it has been shown to be the way to get better and cheaper houses in the future." He said that people are afraid of the idea of pre-fabricated houses because they think that all houses will look alike. Ridiculing this idea, he declared that competition among mass-production manufacturers would be certain to produce many varieties and types of houses.

Slum Housing

"I'm fond of finding the right way to clear slum districts," remarked Professor Gropius, "but in crowded districts we can't clutter the land with cottages." He urged that eight to ten story buildings be constructed in slum districts instead of either skyscrapers or spacetaking low buildings.

Having just arrived from England with its mists, he was immensely pleased with the "clear air" here. "Exceptionally beautifully weather!" he exulted. The real joy of his visit, though, is the swimming pool in the Indoor Athletic Building, about which he was enthusiastic. "You know, I love swimming!