12 SPEAKERS SUCCEED IN DEBATING CONTEST

Competitors Dwindle While Coolidge Prize, H-Y-P Discussion on Supreme Court Bill Loom

Twelve undergraduates have been selected as the result of the second elimination among a field of 20 candidates in the competition for the Coolidge Prize and for positions on the Harvard-Yale-Princeton debating team, according to an announcement of Coach Edward M. Rowe '27 last night.

Retained to discuss in the intercollegiate contest "Resolved, That this house favors the President's proposal for the reorganization of the judiciary" are six men for both the negative and the affirmative. Of the former are Claudius J. Byrne '39, William W. Hancock '38, Joseph P. Healey '38, Jay W. Kaufmann '38, Donald McDonald '39, and Richard W. Sullivan '38. Robert W. Bean '39, W. Tucker Dean '37. Lawrence F. Ebb '39, F. Wetch Peel '39. Vincent J. Rossl '37, and James Tobin '39 will argue for the affirmative.

Judges decided on the merit of the twelve after short speeches and briefs on the Supreme Court were submitted. To separate those who will lead the debate from the alternates a third tryout will be held in Lowell House tonight at 7:30 o'clock in which five minute talks and the presentation of new arguments will be required.

Although still in the embryonic stage, plans for a debate with Radcliffe on the same subject are rapidly taking shape. It is generally supposed that the encounter will be held after the Crimson battles the Elis on home ground, April 23.