COUNCIL PROBES SWIMMERS' PLEA FOR MAJOR AWARD

Mermen Ask Rating Equal With Status of Courtmen--No Need for Language Probation Change Seen

A Student Council committee has been appointed to investigate the plea to make swimming a major sport.

Since the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, with undergraduate backing, last week handed the top flight laurel to future Varsity basketball fives, friends of the pool sport have brought forward a similar case on its behalf.

Acting on the written request of members of Coach Ulen's team, a committee of three Councilmen, John L. Dampeer '38, Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. '38, and Chester W. MacArthur '37, chairman, are now investigating the situation, Council offices announced last night.

Also reported was a recommendation to University Hall in regard to language probation regulations.

A committee headed by C. Colmery Gibson '37, verified the official opinion that there is no urgent necessity for any change in the probationary restrictions. But it felt that "there is possibility of a good student being restricted from profitable extra-curricular activity through circumstances which are not the results of carelessness or insufficient effort on his part."