LETTER AWARDS GIVEN 11-SCORE SPORTSMEN

SEVEN INDIVIDUALS AND MERMEN WIN MAJOR MINOR 'H'

Line forms on the right. More than eleven score student athletes of all sorts, classes, and sizes have received letter or numeral awards for the late Winter season, and will receive them on application at the H.A.A. offices.

Featured in the list of awards, approved by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports and announced today are major 'H's' in minor colors to seven individual athletes.

Recipients are Peter B. Olney '37, captain of the boxing team; Ernest A. Gray, Jr. '37, captain, and Leavitt S. White '37, of the basketball team; A. Townsend Winmill '37, captain of the polo team; W. Brooks Cavin, Jr. '37, captain, and Gerard J. Piel '37, of the wrestling team; and Richard M. Dorson '37, captain of the squash team, who gains his for winning the national intercollegiate title.

William H. Cann '37 earned minor numerals for managing the interscholastic swimming meet. Both Varsity and Freshman boxing teams, who did not meet Yale with whom sparring relations have been severed, were voted regulation awards in the last year of the sport as an intercollegiate Harvard event.

Fifteen Varsity swimmers were authenticated in their winning of major 'H's' in minor colors for taking the Eastern Intercollegiate title by upsetting Yale.

Hockey players gained the largest number of awards, 21 for the Freshmen, 21 for the Junior Varsity, and 19 for the Varsity. Charles S. Bellows '37, captain of the Junior Varsity pucksters, and John Macl. Callaway '37, received both major and minor letters for their bladework against Yale.

Fewest letters in a major sport went to Varsity track men, five of whom qualified; Howard A. Cook '37, Robert Haydock, Jr. '39, Winslow L. Pettingel '38, William H. Schmidt, 2nd '37, captain, and Charles W. Hubbard, 3rd '37, manager.

Most versatile were a pair of Freshman hockey goal tenders, Vinton Freedley, Jr., and James A. Rousmaniere, who found enough time when they weren't on the ice to act as regular members of the 1940 squash team