Rugby Team Topples Boston 11-8, Overcoming Early Lead

Waldinger Scored First for Crimson Team in Close Game.

Coming out of their early season slump the Varsity Rugby team beat the Boston Rugby Club 11-8, Saturday afternoon. The Crimson, with a backfield rearranged on account of injuries, started slowly. Within the first fifteen minutes of play Boston had scored once and, having converted the try, led 5-0.

Towards the end of the half Bob Waldinger broke away near the Boston goal and got off a good pass to Bill Waters who crossed the line for Harvard's first score. The try was not converted, leaving Boston in the lead, 5-3.

In the closing minutes of the half Boston again marched down the field on a well-combined attack by their forwards and three quarter line. With a few minutes left to play they scored again but did not convert. The score at half time stood 8-3 in their favor.

Harvard came out after the half with the wind at their backs and immediately showed better team-work and more drive. The Boston Club was forced back into its own territory, and A1 Teichmeier picked up a loose ball and fell on it over the line. Bill Watt converted from a difficult angle to tie the score.

The Harvard forwards, led by Bill Williams, were working well and the ball stayed down in the Boston half of the field most of the time. Bill Waters and Jim Field, the inside three-quarters, both made ground on hard-hitting runs and Al Simpson receiving a pass from Waldinger went over for the final three points to win.

Harvard played hard but much sloppy work by both backs and forwards spoiled many chances for good gains. The team showed improvement over Wednesday but there is a lot yet to be done before they meet Princeton next Saturday