Varsity Trackmen Do Poorly as Holy Cross Shines in 1st N. E. Relay Meet

Mile Relay Team Gets Third as Two Mile Quartet Takes Second

A chilly wind blowing through the Stadium saw a disappointing crowd witness the first New England Relay Carnival Saturday afternoon. Holy Cross took the team honors as Harvard men in general placed well down in the listing.

Outstanding Race

The outstanding races of the afternoon were the mile run and the class "A" mile relay. Gill paced B.C. into victory in the latter after a thrilling race in which Harvard and then Rhode Island at one time held the lead. But the other members of the Crimson quartet could not hold Bill O'Connor's early lead and they lapsed into third place.

Al Northrop was pulled out of the mile run and saved for the two mile relay, leaving the field open for Bowdoin's Bob Porter and Rhode Island's Stan Holt, who ran to the tape together in a spectacular finish with the first Crimson runner, Bill Wright, well back in fifth place.

It was the anchor log of Northrop in the two mile relay that enabled the Harvard team to go by Tufts to a second place in that event as Holy Cross walked away with first place.

Freshmen

With the Freshmen things fared a little better as the Crimson took a second in the distance medley relay, won the shuttle hurdles relay, and presented winners in the high and broad jumps, Aertson and Hollands.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was in the pole vault where Win Pettingell managed to vault only to 12 feet, 6 1/2 inches and leave the way clear for Singston of Rhode Island at 13 feet.