WALSH CLAIMS CIO IS "SELF-CONSCIOUS ARTICULATE FORCE"

Labor Leader's New Techniques Have Won Him Widespread Support from Masses of Workers

Giving wide berth to any reference either directly or indirectly connected with his recent dismissal, J. Raymond Walsh, instructor in Economics, spoke in the Junior Common Room of Leverett House last night following a House dinner given in his honor.

The CIO

Discussing the significance of the CIO, Walsh said that "for the first time in American labor history an organization has concentrated attention on gaining the support of large masses of the people." He characterized the CIO as a "self-conscious, articulate force."

Walsh traced the history of the CIO's split with the A. F. of L., showing how Green continued Gompers' business unionism, craft unionism, and non-politicalism. During the speech he drew freely from the background of his recent research work on the Wertheim Fellowship.

Lewis An "Enigma"

After a summary of the "critical test in steel" and its success, the speaker turned to the "enigma," John L. Lewis. Claiming that "no one as yet among his followers thinks that Lewis will be faithless," Walsh claimed that many former Lewis enemies are now working with him. Powers Hapgood was mentioned in this connection as a man who thinks Lewis has been "converted".

"The sit-down technique is definitely a weapon in the CIO armory and a very effective instrument," was the instructor's comment on the new mode of striking. He felt that the question of the legality of the sit-down has not yet been determined, mentioning its defense in an article in the "New Republic" by the dean of the Northwestern Law School.

"Bosses Run Courts"

As for Roosevelt's Supreme Court packing plan, Walsh felt that six out of eight workers were in wholehearted support of the President. The workers feel that "the bosses run the courts," he declared.

Looking toward the future, he said that the type of successor selected by Roosevelt will determine whether or not the CIO turns into a political party. "If a reactionary heads the Democratic ticket it would seem certain that a labor party would be launched."