AT THE UNIVERSITY

Claudette Colbert is given an opportunity to display all her wares as an actress in this week's bill at the University. Appearing at the start as the saddened, wronged woman, her pitiful fate is written on her features with seemingly unreasonable lines. But, with the aid of movie magic, her characteristic expressions are soon reversed, she becomes the gorgeous young torch singer in a highbrow New York night club; she is a lithe figure, but experienced in handling men. She has learned.

Miss Colbert performs admirably, and emulates her role of the suffering Sally Trent as a torch singer under the assumed name of Mimi Benton, with a soothing croon which is good enough for any night club. Her wispy overtones are accompanied by the sweet harmony of Abe Lyman's band, and her "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Love," has more direct bearing on the plot than theme songs in most movies we have seen recently.

The plot stumbles along slowly through Mimi Benton's career as the superb radio star broadcasting to an unprecedented following of children throughout the city. In fact, so many youngsters listen to her crooning voice each evening, that Miss Colbert has only to start a birthday club to find the whereabouts of her baby daughter whom she has not seen in several years. During the ensuing scenes, the show once more tugs at the heartstrings of the audience, and David Manners, emerging from the oblivion of China, is united with Claudette with their recently found daughter.

The main fault with the movie is that the plot is burdened with a superfluity of juvenile acting, in most cases under tearful circumstances. Ricardo Cortez is perfectly cast as a good friend of the night club star, but David Manners and Lyda Roberti have been deprived of bettering the show due to the short time they appear on the screen.

The other feature is "Love, Honor, and Oh Baby," a humorous burlesque upon heart balm suits. The facial expressions of Slim Summerville, Zasu Donald Meek, and George Barbier, united in one picture afford good comedy.