BALL TEAM FACES HOLY CROSS AT WORCESTER

JAYVEES DEFEAT TUFTS 14-6, PLAY BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE

Only a distinct improvement in the play of the Varsity baseball team will produce a win when it travels to Worcester today to tackle Holy Cross at 3 o'clock on Fitton Field.

Crimson Waterloo

In the first place Fitton Field has for many years been a Waterloo for Harvard teams. There seems to be something about the place which causes the Crimson to fall completely apart and commit all sorts of baseball sins. Last year the nine was submerged 15-4, the team aiding the Crusaders to the extent of six errors and 13 bases on balls.

Then, of course, Holy Cross has another of its fine clubs, a team which forced the Bees to a ninth inning rally in order to win 6-5. Roy Bruninghaus, who yearly casts a spell over the Mitchellmen, will start on the mound for the Purple.

To further the Harvard trouble Ed Ingalls, leading pitcher, is still bothered by a sore elbow, but he has been chosen to hurl just the same. Last Saturday at Cornell, Ingalls threw only three curves due to this trouble, but got by all right, and Coach Fred Mitchell figures that he will do so again today.

There will be no change in the starting lineup of the team when it takes the field, although Dick Grondahl was slated to return to his left field post and replace Dave Shean. However, the Sophomore is ill, so Shean will retain the position.

Freshmen Face Providence

Coach Samborski's Yardling team seems due for a real walloping today when they cross bats with the Providence College Freshmen on University Field, Providence, at 3 o'clock today.

The team has had a rather ill-starred season and has lost its last four consecutive games and the Friars it is encountering is one of the strongest teams on the schedule. John Woodward will start on the hill for the '40 team.

J.V.'s Beat Tufts

Scoring nine runs in the second inning after Tufts had scored five in the first, the Jayvees fought to a 14-6 victory yesterday on Soldiers Field. Proctor Avon, the Crimson hurler, held the Jumbos to eight hits, and allowed them only one run after the hectic initial frame. Coach Doneghy's men collected 12 base blows, including a homer by Jo-Jo Soltz and a triple by Bob Regan.

After such a successful day against Tufts, the Junior Varsity travels to Bridgewater this afternoon to play the State Teachers College at 3 o'clock.