League Leading Dartmouth Nine Boasts Powerful Squad of Sluggers for Crimson Game Tomorrow

Big Green Team Batting at .399 Clip to Remain Undefeated in Six League Starts

HANOVER, N. H.--Riding on the crest of a terrific hitting splurge, Coach Jeff Tesreau's Indian baseball team has slugged its way into first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League with double victories over Princeton and Columbia on the last two Saturdays and a single victory over Penn several weeks ago.

With every member of the starting lineup with the exception of Charley Tesreau, son of Jeff Tesreau, and first baseman, hitting well over the .300 mark, the Indians are batting over .400 as a team. Georgie Hanna, pintsized Sophomore leadoff man, who is playing left field, is leading the hitters with ten hits in nineteen trips to the plate for an average of .526. Right behind him is Eddle Casey, center fielder and cleanup man, with ten hits in twenty times at bat for a .500 average, while Hal Longley, right-fielder, rounds out the heavy hitting outfield with a mark of .467. Sophomores Bud McLaughlin, second baseman, and Jee Urban, catcher, both boast a .444 average.

Defensively the Indians boast one of the best keystone combinations in the league in Captain Ray Ratajczak, leading shortstop of the league for the past two years, and McLaughlin, while in the outfield Hanna and Casey have no peers in the league when it comes to fly-catching. Behind the bat Joe Urban, who up to this year was better known for his ability as a receiver than a hitter, is doing a bang-up job.

With both Ted Olson and Jee Jayne lost by graduation, the Indians are not nearly so strong in the pitching box as they were a year ago. However, both Ted Bruce, veteran right hander, and Hen Lane, southpaw relief twirler last year, have improved tremendously during the last two weeks to holster the one weakness in the Indian team. A week ago Saturday, Bruce shut out Princeton, 12-0, with three hits in the first game of a doubleheader at Hanover and Saturday he set down Columbia 6-5 in the first game of a doubleheader at New York although he had to be relieved by Bud Clifford in the last inning. In the second game against Princeton Lane did a masterful job of relief hurling while in his first league start of the year in the nightcap against Columbia he won, 9-3, allowing only four hits.

Clifford, promising Sohomore southpaw, and Carl "Mutt" Ray are on hand to do the relief hurling.

Among the outstanding reserves are Ed Loveday, outfielder, Swede Liuden, heavy-hitting general utility man, and Len Viens, catcher