Nine Plays Big Red; Cornell, Syracuse Crews Arrive

Visitors Are Both to Work Out Twice Today

Arriving in Cambridge this morning, both the Cornell and Syracuse crews will take double workouts on the Charles River today in preparation for their quadrangular race with Harvard and Technology tomorrow afternoon.

Cornell brings with them a heavy boatload that in its only race of the season was beaten by Navy's great eight by a length and three quarters. Both the Crimson and the Big Red use the short Washington stroke. The Syracuse crew is definitely below par.

Tom Bolles sent his Varsity through a stiff workout on the Basin yesterday afternoon as they had a practice time trial with the Jayvees and the third eight. Spike Chace stroked the Crimson's top boat to an easy victory in time that Bolles said was "satisfactory".

The closest call for the Crimson tomorrow will come in the Freshman race where a greatly improved Crimson boat will probably be underdog to the best chance of Cornell for a win.

The Big Red yearling boat was not far behind the Navy's plebes a week ago, and the Middies have a smooth, heavy and powerful first year boat.

While the Varsity is racing on the Charles Saturday, Bert Haines' crack lightweight eight will be entering the American Henley regatta at Philadelphia a favorite to win.