Ancient Customs in New Form Make Japan Constitution, Says Hindmarsh

Result of ancient Order Merged in Modern Constitution He Declares

Ancient practices in modern dress was the characterization of the Japanese Constitution given by Arthur E. Hindmarsh, instructor of Government, in a lecture broadcast over station W1XAL last night.

Disliked American Constitution

When Japan was emerging from Feudalism during the second half of the nineteenth century, he said, a certain Ito and other official observers were sent to examine the Constitutions of the modern civilized nations. They were especially impressed by Bismarck and the Prussian form of government, and also adopted some ideas from England, but after being given some copies of "The Federalist" and the American constitution they politely called it the worst. Their present document contains 76 articles, 64 of which are taken from foreign models, 42 from Germany.

We should not judge their form of government, he added, without considering the character and history of the Japanese people. Since February 11, 660 B.C., the traditional date for the founding of the empire, Japan had been ruled by the Shoguns who controlled the office of Prime Minster, while the Emperor was reduced to a religious figurehead too holy to interfere in lowly matters of government. A revival of learning in the eighteenth century and contact with the western world revealed their true condition to the Japanese people. In 1867 the last Shogun retired and restored the Emperor to his full power. In 1868 a new Emperor ascended, in 1871 the ancient Feudalism was abolished.