ELIS BREAK LACROSSE VICTORY STREAK 10-8

Witherspoon Stands Out as Stickmen Win Championship Despite defeat; Yardlings Lose 5-4

Defensive lapses by the Varsity lacrosse team in the firs half gave Yale the necessary margin to hand the Crimson its first defeat in New England, by a score of 10-8, in New Haven on Saturday. Despite the loss the Stahleymen annexed the New England Lacrosse Championship.

Only the valiant efforts of Captain John Witherspoon held the bewildered Crimson defense together during the first half. Recovering from two Eli tallies in the opening minutes the stickmen tied the count at two apiece on goals by Tom Campion and Austie Scott. But goals by Henry an Smith put the Bulldogs ahead at the half 7-4.

In the third quarter the Stahleymen flashed the tricky passes and close defensive tactics which have made them so formidable all fall. George Harstone and Hal Cleveland shot two goals past Irving, the Eli goalie, while Witherspoon and Livingstone on the points were limiting the Blue to one goal.

Rough blocking, long runs and fast passing marked the last period as the Stahleymen came within one point of tying the score on Damon's close shot from in front of the nets.

Encouraged, the stickmen staged a frantic offensive in the closing minutes led by Wintherspoon and Hartstone, but were unable to crack the Bulldogs' defense.

Yardlings Lose

Weak defensive play in the opening minutes also proved to be the downfall of the Yardlings as they were edged by Yale 5-4 at New Haven on Saturday. Capitalizing on every opening in the Crimson defense the Elis led 5-2 at the half.