FOUR BRITISHERS WILL STUDY HERE NEXT YEAR

James, Russell, Nowell-Smith, Smith to Receive Grants to Pursue Work at Harvard

Four British students will study here next year under grants of the Commonwealth Fund, it was revealed yesterday. In all, 33 English university men and public officials will come to fifteen American colleges and research institues as such "Commonwealth Fellows."

Coming to Harvard are Richard N. Jones, of the University of Manchester, Patrick H. Nowell-Smith, of New College, Oxford, David C. Russell, of University College, David C. Russell, of University College, London, and Richard University College, London, and Richard S. Smith, of Magdalen College, Oxford.

Jones, who has already published a work in biochemistry, will investigate methods of synthesis of phenathrene compounds, particularly sex hormones, sterols, bile acids, and carecinogenic hydrocarbons. Russell and Nowell-Smithh will study philosophy, with the latter devoting special attention to the mathematical logic of Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead. American theory and practice in the education of 14-18-year-old boys will be the subject of Smith's work.