KILLIAM SELECTED IVY ORATOR, WILL SPEAK CLASS DAY

Three Marshals, Morse and Packard Judges of Contest Held in Holden Chapel Last Week

Paul Killiam, Jr. '37, of Cambridge, has been selected as Ivy Orator for the Class of 1937, it was announced last night. Rolf Kaltenborn '37, of Brooklyn, has been picked as alternate.

These men finished number one and two in a speaking competition held in Holden Chapel last week and judged by the three Marshals of the Class, the Class Day Committee, William G. Morse '99, purchasing agent to the University and in charge of Commencement exercises, and Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking.

Killiam gives his oration at Class Day. His sample speech delivered last week achieved not by the changed of voice he used in a dialogue with himself.

Speeches were six or seven minutes long. Judging went on a basis of diction, content, and recording. All the contestants' voices were put on record by Professor Packard. They stod before microphones while delivering their speeches.

Up until last year it was customary to hold elections for the position. Beginning last year the change was made to a competitive system of choosing in order to avoid poor addresses.

Besides Killiam and Kaltenborn, both of whom are editors of the Lampoon, contestants were: Frederick Ayer, Jr., David A. Barber, Arthur Ellison, John S. Kelly, and Peter H. Knapp.