THE WANDERING BIOCHEMIST--NO TUTORIAL TO GUIDE THEM

One of the first fields to adopt a Plan A and Plan B tutorial system is Biochemistry. In no field could the move be more ill-advised, because of the peculiar nature of the faculty and the inadequacy of lecture and laboratory opportunities.

The unique position of Biochemistry in the University structure is strikingly demonstrated by the fact that it has no formal organization beyond a board of nine tutors.

In the Sophomore year, students know hardley enough Biology and Chemistry to handle the elementary, disjointed half-course in the field. Little wonder then, that Sophomore tutorial work is unsatisfactory in the large majority of cases. Once the fundamentals have been acquired, the large experience, specific knowledge, and intelligent interest in students of the tutorial staff make tutorial work decidedly successful in coordinating and suggesting elaborations on the advanced work in the field.

Yet it is at the end of this futile preliminary period that all men with less than a B average will cease to receive regular tutorial instruction.

For the honors student, particularly those writing a laboratory thesis, the field is an invigorating prelude to advanced work in medicine. But for those unfortunates cut loose before the Junior year from the only coordinating ties, there will be nothing left but aimless ambling through the tangled pastures of Chemistry and Biology, selecting a course here or there. For them the last pretence of a field of Biochemistry is swept away.