The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

BRUENING, FORMER GERMAN MINISTER, WILL TEACH HERE

Former Godkin Lecturer Holds Course On International Economic Policies Beginning in September

Dr. Heinrich Bruening, former Chancellor of Germany, has been appointed Lecturer on Government and Tutor in the Division of History, Government and Economics, effective in September, it was announced yesterday.

He will give a course on International Economic Policies next year, a seminar primarily for graduate students, and great interest has been expressed at his acceptance of the position of Tutor.

Was Godkin Lecturer

Bruening gave the Godkin lectures here last year, and was in Cambridge earlier this year consulting on plans for the Littauer School of Public Administration. At that time he gave an informal talk to Government students on the growth and decline of the German constitution.

Having spent ten years in various German universities, including Munich, Strassburg, Munster and Bonn, he is thoroughly acquainted with academic life and methods. His studies have embraced the fields of history, government and literature, and he has contributed articles to various political and literary journals.

Forced Out in 1932

Bruening entered the Reichstag in 1924 as a member of the Catholic Center party, and remained there until called to the chancellorship in 1930. While in that position one of his policies was for complete payment of the war reparations through internal economic measures.

Forced out of office in 1932, Bruening remained in Germany and was active in the elections of the next year which preceded the Nazi rise to power. He left the country a few months before the Nazi "blood purge" of June, 1934, and has not returned since. He has lived for the most part in Holland and Switzerland.