B.U. NINE DEFEATS CRIMSON VARSITY 18-10; LONG GAME

Dick Walsh, Don Prouty Allow Terriers 16 Base Hits--Staples Hits Homer On First Time at Bat

With the two Crimson pitchers, Dick Walsh and Don Prouty hammered for 16 base hits and with eight errors made in the field, the Varsity nine bowed to Boston University on the enemy diamond at Nickerson Field, 18 to 10, in a loosely played contest yesterday afternoon.

Because of a pine tree fire just at game time, which threatened to destroy the stands filled with a B.U. Junior Class Day crowd, and because of the sloppiness of the play, it was 7:30 o'clock before the last batter was retired.

Following a first inning home run which cleared the loaded bases, by the Terrier shortstop Saladino, and another rally in the fourth which sent Walsh to the sidelines, B.U. led the Crimson nine 8 to 3. But in the first half of the fifth frame, the Mitchellmen rushed seven men across the plate, bringing the score to 10 to 8.

However, Hoyt, who replaced Leahy on the mound for the Terriers in the fifth, held the Crimson attack scoreless in the remaining four innings of the game.

First baseman Lupe Lupien led the Varsity attack with three singles and a walk, while Phil Staples, filling in at catcher for the ailing Al Colwell, clouted a homer in his first appearance at bat this season and accounted for another tally in the fifth inning after reaching first for being hit by a pitched ball.

The Harvard box score:   AB  R  H  PO  A  E Johns, 2b  6  1  1  4  2  1 Lupien, 1b  5  1  3  6  1  1 Bilodeau, ss  4  2  1  3  5  2 Owen, 3b  4  1  2  0  1  1 MacTernen, cf  4  1  0  1  0  0 Sullivan, rf  4  1  0  2  0  0 Shean, lf  4  1  2  2  0  1 Staples, c  4  2  1  6  1  0 Walsh, p  2  0  0  0  1  1 Prouty, p  3  0  0  0  1  1   40  10  10  24  12  8

Jayvee Baseball Game

With the score tied at three all going into the last half of the eighth inning, the Jayvee baseball team routed the Boston Latin nine 10 to 5 at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon by dint of a closing rally of seven runs. Although out hit by the Boston school, 12 hits to 9, the Junior Varsity capitalized on an enemy error and six free passes on balls to win its fourth victory in six starts.

Jayvee Baseball Game