BRIGHT FUTURE SEEN BY VARSITY COACHES

Belles, Harlow, Mikkola and Mitchell Enthusiastic Before Record Crowd At University Club

Before a record breaking turnout at the Annual Varsity Club Spring Luncheon yesterday, four major sport coaches predicted a bright future for their respective teams. In addition to these speeches captains Jim Gaffney, George Ford, Tom Bilodeau, Ed Bennett, Bill Schmidt, and captains-elect Rus Allen and Traf Hicks were introduced to the audience.

Although disappointed in the results of the pitching to date, Fred Mitchell, Varsity baseball coach, expressed hopes for a good finish to the season. He feels that if another man can be developed to share the twirling with Ed Ingalis this should be possible.

Reviewing the results of crew to date, Tom Bolles was especially pleased with the spirit of his squad and the form which they have shown even under pressure. In his opinion the Navy and Yale races will be very close, but the Varsity will be tough opposition for anybody.

Only pessimistic note of the day was sounded by Jaako Mikkoia whose track team lost many excellent performers through graduation. Despite this loss, the present squad under the leadership of Bill Schmidt has the potentialities to furnish many upsets.

Dick Harlow, in reviewing the football prospects, praised the work of the team in spring practice. He has been able to get an extra idea about all his material from this work, and therefore should be able to field his best team from the start next fall.