ALMOST HALF OF HOUSE APPLICANTS REJECTED

JUNIORS, SENIORS OCCUPY 70 PER CENT OF ROOMS 1937-38

Five hundred and seventeen Freshmen and sixty-six upperclassmen will receive notices today of acceptance to the various Houses out of a total of 1017 men who made applications, according to a statement made last night by Dean Hanford.

This is the largest number of applications that has over been made, whereas at the same time the number of rooms available for new men has been lass than usual. Because of the large number of upperclassmen who applied this year, the proportion of acceptances of new Freshmen is necessarily smaller than in former years. Over 70 per cent of the places in the House next year will be occupied by Juniors and Seniors.

In comparison with this year's figures, last spring 572 Freshmen and 68 upperclassmen out of a total of 977 applicants were admitted on the first assignment.

As a result of the assignment which has just been made, all vacancies in the Houses have been filled for next year. It should be remembered, however, by those failing to secure admission to a House now, that some places will become available before September by changes in plans on the part of certain men for whom rooms for 1937-1938 are now reserved.

Students who wish to be considered for vacancies as they occur should fill out an application for the waiting list at the House office in University 4. A few room in College dormitories outside the Yard are available for 1937-38. Applications for these rooms should be made immediately at Lehman Hall. Students who have reserved a room in the College dormitories will be allowed to cancel their reservations without charge in case they later receive assignment to a room in a House.