VARSITY NINE LOSES THREE WEEKEND TILTS

DROPS TO THIRD PLACE IN LEAGUE STANDINGS

Displaying the most disappointing baseball of the year, the erratic Crimson nine returned last night from a four game week-end of three defeats and one victory, slipping to a weak third place in the League standings.

Friday, Pennsylvania pounded three Varsity twirlers for 10 baschits to win 11-4. On the following morning Slim Curtiss pitched the only Crimson victory of the series, over Columbia 6-4, but Coach Fred Mitchell's ace hurler, Ed Ingalls, bowed before the Princeton Tigers 7-2 in the afternoon tilt.

Curtiss Allows Six Hits, Loses

Continuing their losing streak, the Mitchellmen could collect but three hits against the pitching of the Brown moundsmen, Devaney, at Providence yesterday, losing 4-2. Curtiss allowed the Bruins only 6 blows.

The only bright spots in the discouraging series were Curtiss' performance on the hill and Lupe Lupien's showing at bat with 6 hits, bolstering his League average to .355. Receiving his first starting assignment of the year, Curtiss twirled in three of four weekend games and becomes the number two hurler on the Crimson staff.

Games with Dartmouth, Yale Remaining

In order to win the Eastern League championship, the Varsity must win the four remaining encounters of the season. Since these contests are against the leading teams, Yale and Princeton, Crimson chances for a high place in the standings are slight following the set-backs by mediocre Pennsylvania and Princeton nines.

Despite the wretched showing in the three league encounters, the Varsity boosted its fielding average from fifth position in the circuit to first place with .949.

The composite Harvard box-score:   AB  R  H  PO  A  E McTernan, cf  13  2  2  10  1  1 Lupien, lb  15  2  6  26  4  0 Bilodeau, ss  13  3  3  6  15  1 Owen, 3b  11  3  3  4  6  1 Sullivan, lf  15  1  3  6  0  0 Colwell, c  13  1  2  19  3  2 Doyle, c  1  0  0  1  0  0 Gannett, rf  15  0  2  1  0  0 Grondahl, 2b  12  0  2  14  3  4 McIntosh, of  0  0  0  1  0  0 Walsh, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Shean, p and of  5  1  1  1  2  0 Curtiss, p  5  0  0  1  4  0 Ingalls, p  2  1  0  1  2  1 Johns, ph  1  0  0  0  0  0   --  --  --  --  --  --   121  14  24  93  40  10