Crimson Nine Wins Dartmouth Doubleheader by 9-8, 4-2 Scores

Mitchellmen Overcome 6 Run Lead as Bilodeau Slashes Out Home Run With Bases Full

By twice trouncing the highly favored Dartmouth nine yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field 9-8 and 4-2, the dope-up-setting Crimson toppled the league-leading Indians to third place. Two victories over the Elis will give the Mitchellmen undisputed possession of the championship.

Following yesterday's twin killing Yale rests in first place with six wins and two losses, with the Crimson moving from third position to second, boasting seven triumphs against three defeats.

With the lineup riddled badly by exams and illness, victory for the Crimson seemed very distant. With catcher Al Colwell under the weather, Frank Owens, in a surprise move, was moved to behind the plate, Dave Shean filling in at third, and Bob Gannett in right field. Regular lfot corner guardian, Dick Grondahl arrived in time for the second game after an afternoon exam.

First Game

When the Indians rushed into the lead with four runs in the initial frame and four more in the second while Harvard was only able to pick up one in each of these two innings, it looked like an over whelming win was coming to the Hanoverians. A home run by Casey in the first and by McLaughlin in the second, both with men on the satchels were instrumental in getting Dartmouth off to its huge 8-2 lead.

The Mitchellmen kept right on, however, pecking at the offerings of ace hurler Ted Bruce until the big blow-off in the fifth, when the impossible was accomplished and the ball game was knoted. In that inning after McTernen was out at second trying to stretch a single into a double, three hits and a fielders choice scored two runs and left three aboard. Then with two out Captain Tom Bilodeau slashed out a fierce drive down the third base line for a circuit elout to bring in four more fairies.

In the next inning two hits and a free ticket gave the Crimson the necessary victory run.

Harvard box score:

AB  R  H  PO  A  EShean, 3b  5  0  2  2  1  1Lupien, lb  2  2  1  3  3  1Bilodeau, ss  2  1  1  0  2  0Owen, c  3  0  1  5  0  1McTernen, ef  3  1  1  2  0  0Gannett, rf  3  1  1  3  0  0Sullivan, rf  3  2  2  1  0  0Johns, 2b  4  1  1  5  1  1Ingalls, p  4  1  1  0  0  0  29  9  11  21  7